In a big family the first child is kind of like the first pancake. If it's not perfect, that's okay, there are a lot more coming along - Antonin Scalia
I understand how it goes on pancake day - you’ve kept the New Year’s resolution up, you’ve shredded a few pounds, and why stop there?
After all, a single pancake with syrup contains an eye-watering 296 calories - and I’d be lying if I said I’d stop at the one.
Well, firstly, congratulations on sticking to things - most people kick in the new-found regime within the first month.
But looking at the day’s third plate of chicken breast and broccoli is no fun when your mates and family members are tossing the pancakes - I’m glad to say there’s a way for you to join in without ditching the diet.
Here at Focus 4 Fitness, we’ve donned our chef’s hats and have been creating in the kitchen. You’ll find our best healthy pancake tips below:
1. Ditch the pre-made mixes - most of these are made with enriched white flour and opting for the whole wheat alternative brings several benefits including a healthy dose of fibre and vitamin content and leaving you feeling full for longer.
2. Haul in the oats - adding an 80g cup of rolled oats to your batter will hike up the protein levels by 8 grams. That’s a third of a chicken breast - I’d even say you could make an excuse to have this for breakfast.
3. Replace butter with lighter alternatives - go for the 1cal alternative, and you’ll save 30 per pancake. That’s avoiding any bad calories right from the off.
4. Be eccentric with your ingredients - batter works well to stick almost everything together, and the more adventurous chef could go for broccoli, kale and spinach to get the most from your plate.
5. Go nuts with your toppings - Not feeling satisfied without the syrup? Avoid unnecessary sugar and add a crunch by sprinkling almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts over the top. Chia and Flax seeds will also dust over nicely.
And there you have it - there’s no need to duck out of the fun side of things when staying good. Plus, you’ll be back in the gym guilt-free tomorrow!
Rob, Norwich’s sports performance guy.
For more top tips and performance enhancing posts, like us on Facebook!